This Day in GINGEROLOGY - March 29th
1883: William Halligan (born William Kerry Halligan), who starred with Ginger in the films “Follow The Leader” (as Bob Sterling), “Tom, Dick and Harry” (as Mr. Burton), “Tales of Manhattan” (as Oliver Webb), and “Week-End at the Waldorf” (as Chief Jennings), was born in Chicago, Illinois.
1889: Warner Baxter, who starred with Ginger in the films “42nd Street” (as Julian Marsh) and “Lady in the Dark” (as Kendall Nesbitt) was born in Columbus, Ohio.
1908: Dennis O’Keefe (born Edward Vance Flanagan), who starred with Ginger in the films “Hat Check Girl” (as Party Guest), “42nd Street” (as Chorus Boy), “Gold Diggers of 1933” (as Chorus Boy), “Twenty Million Sweethearts” (as Reporter), “Upperworld” (as Photographer), “Top Hat” (as Elevator Passenger / Dancer), “Swing Time” (as Dance Extra in “The Way You Look Tonight” Number), and “Vivacious Lady” (as Student), was born in Fort Madison, Iowa.
1941: H. Dudley Hawley (born Hughson Dudley Hawley), who starred with Ginger in the film “Young Man of Manhattan” (as the Doctor), died in New York City at the age of 62.
1955: Nina Campana (born Esperanza Susanna de Ybarrondo), who starred with Ginger in the film “Flying Down to Rio” (as Mme. Borget-Damas), died in Santa Clara, California, at the age of 57.
1957: Charles R. Rogers, who produced the Ginger films “The Tip-Off”, “Suicide Fleet”, “Carnival Boat”, and “Sitting Pretty”, died in Hollywood, California, at the age of 64.
2013: TCM aired “42nd Street”.2016: TCM aired “42nd Street”.
Next GingerFilm(s) (on TCM - all times Eastern):
April 4-5, 2017 @ 12:00 A.M. Fifth Avenue Girl
April 8, 2017 @ 10:45 P.M. Black Widow
April 10, 2017 @ 8:00 P.M. - Tales of Manhattan
Next GingerFilm(s) (on FXM Retro - all times Eastern) - NOTE - the FXM Retro site is kinda 'cryptic' as far as specific times, so please check local listings for 'specific times':
None Currently Scheduled...
Monday, December 15, 2014
GingerFilms on DVD...
Kinda bummed about my ol' Alma Mater, UAB, 'dropping' football... under some pretty heinous circumstances... UAB is part of the UA system, which also includes campuses in Tuscaloosa and Huntsville... well, UAT is the 'flagship', and has all the votes on the Board of Trustees... long story short, they have been 'kneecapping' the program from Day One, and finally decided to kill it... but there's quite a bit of 'pushback' from the UAB community, as well as local government... so stay tuned... meanwhile... we need to just break away from the UA system, period... thus, #freeUAB!!!
With that, and in keeping with the superficial side of the Season, we want it ALL, right? So, let's all crank out a list, shall we?
Place the following GingerFilms currently unavailable on DVD in your preferred order for availability:
The films in question are the following, in chronological order:
Young Man of Manhattan
The Sap from Syracuse
Follow the Leader
Honor Among Lovers
Hat Check Girl
Don't Bet On Love
Twenty Million Sweethearts
Lady In The Dark
It Had To Be You
Twist Of Fate
The First Traveling Saleslady
...yeah, there's still quite a few (20, to be exact), but considering Ginger had 74 films, plus some shorts, this list is pretty short... and don't fret about studio ownership and the 'real probability' of a restoration / release... just assume ALL will be available (nice thought, eh?)
Just put your list in the comments section, and we'll all compare notes...OK? OK!!!
Again, we here at Gingerology hope you all have a Great and Meaningful Christmas, and a Most Prosperous New Year!!! ...but we'll talk again before that...
UPDATE - 12/27/14:
...well, here's my list...
1. Hat Check Girl - just because most of us haven't seen it, right?
2. In Person - weird that this one is not on DVD already... my fave of the 20.
3. Sitting Pretty - a good film - if they can restore it and get Ginger's last line in the 'Dream Walking' tune in full without skipping, that would RULE!
4. Professional Sweetheart - Ginger at her sassiest...
5. Twenty Million Sweethearts - love Ginger singing Out For No Good... this film is one of Dale Tremont's faves as well...
6. Broadway Bad - Ginger AND Joan Blondell - nuff said. a good scrubbing is needed.
7. Tender Comrade - Ginger is SO fetching in this one...
8. The Tip-Off - To me, Ginger's first 'substantial' role, as Baby Face... love it.
9. Queen High - a VERY cute young Ginger singing and dancing around...
10. It Had To Be You - a film that has grown on me over time...
11. Lady In The Dark - needed if anything for a clean clear copy of the Jenny saga...
12. The Sap from Syracuse - another cute Ginger effort, this time with Oakie.
13. Twist Of Fate - a more mature Ginger in a different role, with Bergerac.
14. Don't Bet On Love - Standard role, but with Ayres.
15. Young Man of Manhattan - Ginger's first gig, as Puff the magic flapper.
16. Carnival Boat - a standard 'love interest' role in a cast full of Ax Men.
17. The First Traveling Saleslady - Ginger's last RKO effort... a cute film overall along with Channing.
18. Harlow - would like to see this in a 'normal' format if possible - the original was shot in some 'megascope' camera technique or something, which results in folks being chopped off (at least in my copy).
19. Follow the Leader - marginal role for Ginger - vehicle for Ed Wynn.
20. Honor Among Lovers - VERY minimal Ginger role... film itself is not bad, tho...and definitely needs a good 'revamping'.
It is my hope that I can continue to make 'G-ology' interesting and informative regarding the 'Beautiful Science' of VKM, which is SUCH a great topic!!! ...And remember, your comments are what make Gingerology click - so keep cranking them out!
Thanks again, JW